Saturday, March 27, 2010

pray for unity

To us Catholics, it almost goes unnoticed, nearly taken for granted. But many, many Protestants very much notice it and cringe when they say it. Some won't even say it at all.

What exactly am I yammering about now? The line in the Nicene Creed, a profession of our beliefs, which states "We believe in one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church".
  • one = unity
  • holy = holy
  • catholic = universal
  • apostolic = passed down from the apostles

  • What's all the fuss about?

    I think the reason Protestants cringe is that they have been taught that Catholics are evil. The anti-Christ. It could not be any further from the truth. All you have to do is to look at Church history. Somewhere along the lines, learning church history has been tossed aside as if it has no importance (remember Atlanta's Church in the Now?). Right. What is the outcome of ignoring church history? We remain splintered. The Body of Christ is fractured. We totally lose sight of unity.


    There are over thirty thousand Protestant denominations.

    Only One. Catholic. Church.

    2 comments:

    Anita said...

    I have to admit that the nondenominational churches really give me pause. Lack of tradition and history are lazy at best and dangerous at worse. What bothers me the most is when someone then calls their church by their pastor's name. I go to Pastor Bob's church. I find that frightening.

    Anita said...

    Looking at church history, no Christian can rightly deny the diligence of the Catholic church in protecting God's Word and/or sacred traditions (like the creed you blogged about and the article below). The Catholic church should be commended on both accounts.

    Personally, I do have trouble with some of the past popes (very wicked men), one time marriage of church and state in Europe (possible cause to reformation), and the present handling of child abuse (some handled well, some not at all). I think the Pope should sweep the church of that filth and do so on the world stage. I mean no disrespect, but that is my two cents.