Tuesday, March 2, 2010

a hungry kind of day

kaolin clay



Each month, despite the fact that I am rarely hungry at the time, I have near pica-like moments in which I feel like I could eat the paint right off the walls (especially if the walls were painted with Hershey's chocolate). Today is one of those days.


A friend of mine and I were talking about how odd it is that pregnant women (most often black women) crave white chalk, also known as kaolin. Here is an article about it. I remember hearing about it the first year I taught, in a very rural middle school. I remember being incredulous at the thought, but figured there must be something contained within the dirt, minerals maybe, that are important to the woman's body.


That being said, I never did eat dirt. Although I do remember the old wives tale "you have to eat a peck of dirt before you die".


My cravings are more varied. Today it was pecans. And mostly it isn't about the craving really, it's more about just having something in my mouth.



Oh sure, I could chew gum. But what kind of post would that make:



Today I chewed gum. I don't know why.


See, that is so boring.

3 comments:

lizzerd said...

i get that urge to CRUNCH on something sometimes. usually when i'm stressed. almonds from the freezer are good for that too.

Sandy said...

Someone a long time ago mentioned freezing grapes, maybe Richard Simmons. Anyway it works very well.

Anita said...

Kaolin is used for settling stomachs. It is actually mined in middle Georgia for medications.

Nuts (cashews, pecans, or almonds) or raisins covered with chocolate help me.Publix brand of chocolate or good old Raisinets works well. Also I find a few glasses of cool water helps (in a row). Sometimes I am thirsty and not really hungry at all.