Saturday, August 1, 2009

notes from the trenches: back-to-school shopping

This afternoon/tonight we took #'s 2-5 shopping for back-to-school stuff. In hindsight I think I would have rather been waterboarded. None of it was enjoyable.

1) Tax-free holiday - which means everyone and their toy poodle was out and about shopping for bargains... someone could have lost an eye. Not worth the savings/Shop at midnight when the stores have just re-stocked.
2) The two little ones were too sleep deprived to enjoy the mind-numbing activity of looking for 7 packs of index cards. Note to self for next year: hire a sitter!
3) Second-born is not a fat boy, there are just NO pants or shorts that fit him properly, therefore it might be easier to find a school where boys don't have to wear anything on the lower half (ew...on second thought, that is a terrible idea.. he can just wear pants that are either too tight or too baggy) Do Spanx come in boys sizes?
4) This being the first year that King was invited to go shopping with us, he didn't understand that we have to get a second mortgage to buy all this stuff. We had to ask for smelling salts at the check out counter. Bless his heart.
5) Chinese food is not comfort food on back-to-school shopping days. Blort.

All of this and we still have #1's supply lists that will come home from the first day of school, as well as the few things we''ll need for Mother's Day Out for the wee'uns.
Boo hiss: nearly three hundred dollars later, we still don't have index cards!

2 comments:

lizzerd said...

dollar tree? family dollar? dollar general? they usually have them

Anonymous said...

God give me wisdom to see that Today is my day with my children. That there is no unimportant moment in their lives.
May I know no other career is as precious.
No other work so rewarding.
No other task so urgent.
May I not defer it nor neglect it. But by Thy Spirit accept in gladly, joyously, and
by Thy grace realize
That the time is short and my time is now,
For children won't wait.
A Mother's Prayer by Helen Young
This has been my prayer for many years and is a great reminder.

My other favorite reminder is this, "Don't take yourself too seriously."

Maybe this will help you in those where in the world are those index cards moments. We all have them!

My index card moment today was trying to get a teenage daughter to explain how to leave a blog post. So the very nice author of the 50's Housewife has my first attempt. Oooopppppsss!Oh well!

Griffin shared your blog with me last night. I had the privilege of reading through a ton of it. Blessings on all 7, Anita

P.S. Wal-mart and Office Depot have them!