Friday, August 28, 2009

freecycle

I don't really call myself "green", however in the 70's I was impacted by Keep America Beautiful's commercial with Iron Eyes Cody (who interestingly enough was of Sicilian ancestry). Littering is sheer stupidity, and if we can reuse something, then by all means, let's do. I believe that most all of these little "recycle crafts" that kids do will just delay things going into a landfill, but I digress.

The point of this blog entry (yes, there is one) is to spread the word about a program my sister told me about a couple of years ago: FreeCycle. It is set up as a regional online group. You join, you give things away all for free. The plus side is that you get crap out of your house, you don't have to go through the "yard sale ordeal", and someone who really needs/wants the item is getting it. Negatives are that you don't get any tax write off, you don't get to go buy "more crap" with the money you made from a yard sale, and there is a chance (if you give your address out) you may run into a wacko.

I recently rejoined so that I can ask for fabric remnants. I am hoping someone will be cleaning out their grandmother's sewing room and will have some vintage stuff for me to score squeal over and use.

No comments: