Friday, August 17, 2007

on the use of kosher salt

I have seen kosher salt called for in enough recipes that I finally decided to buy some.

Word to the wise: DO NOT USE THIS SALT LIKE YOU WOULD NORMAL TABLE SALT

I "sprinkled" some on some cauliflower that I had at lunchtime. Blech. I might as well have licked a New York highway after a blizzard. Or perhaps drank the brine from the ice cream maker.

Let's just say that I know a lot more about kosher salt now than I did an hour ago. I guess the fact that it is used in cooking should have been a dead giveaway, but I swear I heard Martha Stewart say that she uses it as table salt. Maybe it was sea salt that she said she used. I thought they were basically the same thing.

Hrrummph. Being wrong never tasted quite so bad.

1 comment:

Kathy Gillen said...

I am a total sea salt convert. I don't know anything about kosher salt, except I think they use it to make corned beef and pickles...try the sea salt...it really is good.