Sunday, February 17, 2013

review

much ado aldi about nothing 
Our town recently got an ALDI store.  We ventured out today to see what the fuss was all about.  I think it's cute how they have their little "ALDI facts" spread throughout the store, on their website, and in their weekly specials paper.
Our findings:  meh.  It's just ok.  I came up with some "facts" they can add to their own.

  • ALDI fact # 78: got moo?  No 3 thought it was too cramped, "I felt claustrophobic in there."  I couldn't agree more.  We were cattle.   
  • ALDI fact # 46: Cash only  They take cash, debit cards, or food stamps. Only.  They do not take credit cards, and they really don't care to take a check, although I guess they made an exception when I was about to walk away from $80 worth of groceries. 
  • ALDI fact # 83: Meat n' two veg  They have carrots, celery, potatoes, and onions.  And that's about the extent of their veggie section.
  • ALDI fact # 13: BYOB  They do not provide bags free of charge, although they are available for purchase.
  • ALDI fact #96: You won't see the homeless guy downtown pushing one of our carts, nor will you see one knocked over like a dead deer on the side of the road.  I don't mind so much the "insert your quarter *here* to get a shopping cart" business, because it kept the kids' interest piqued for the end of our trip when we could get the quarter back.  However, the guy who was in charge of helping folks figure the process out was a tad+ weird.
  • ALDI fact # 66:  It's not ok to spoon people you don't know.  Some freak followed me through the store and then bumped into me from behind on the way out of the store.  Eeek!  Do not touch me, stranger!  Haven't you ever heard of personal space?!?  Creepy Creeperville!
They have some really good bargains, like $2.69 for a gallon of milk (at least .30 cheaper than anywhere else in town), but, frankly, and I can't believe that I, of all skin flints, am saying this:  it's not worth the hassle.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Have you too come to the point where hassle free living is worth the price. Yes, me too!