Wednesday, February 13, 2013

my plan for today

After I go to Ash Wednesday Mass today, I am going to the CSS Thrift Shop with crossed fingers to try to find a crochet hook and some yarn that someone may have donated... because today is the day I will be learning to crochet.  Thanks to a cold, wet, drizzly weather forecast and a seriously awesome series of YouTube videos, I am planning to have at least one Granny Square finished by the end of the day. 

I am lucky to have had two grandmothers who made things with their hands.  My father's mother, whose treadle sewing machine is still oiled and ready to be used, has made a gazillion or so quilts (hand-made actually), among many garments.  My mother's mother was a master at Needle Arts (I'd bet if you were to ask my Mom, there's a joke in there somewhere!) - needlepointing, cross stitching, knitting, and crocheting.  She taught me how to needlepoint, cross stitch, and started teaching me how to knit - although the visit ended before I learned how to "tie off", but, I'm just gonna brag a little about the fact that I had one seriously cool, extremely long strip of an unfinished knitting project going as a teenager!

Never before now have I appreciated the beauty of Granny Square afghans.  Perhaps it is seeing them on so many Pinterest photos, but more than likely, I suspect it is the fact that it makes me nostalgic for the rare times I spent tapped into the creative mind of a previous generation.

No comments: