Friday, June 27, 2008

new definition of clean

Sour is the new fresh.
As beautiful as my front loader washer and dryer set is, frankly, I hate it. In any given load of laundry, there is no uniform "good smell". You will have one article of clothing that smells great and one that is sour. Then the rest are somewhere in between. With smoke and mirrors, the "earth-friendly powers that be" have convinced us that you can get clothes clean with little to no water and relatively little detergent.
Because of my keener than normal sense of smell, I have noticed that other people must have "energy efficient" washers as well. I have never before smelled so many people whose clothes aren't so fresh...er.. or should I say have taken on the odor of the "new fresh". My sister tells me that they now sell packets of stuff for your washer that deodorize it. Why? I never had to do that with my old washer, may it rest in peace. Growing up, my mother's washer never had to be deodorized.
One of the things I love living in the world during this time is the fact that we can bathe on a frequent basis. We don't have to wait a year, having to heed the "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" warning. We can bathe once a day or more if we so choose.
But, now with this altered definition of clean, this different take on the concept of freshness, we may as well sleep late and become more energy efficient selves. I'm thinking about the greasy-haired hippie look. Perhaps nappy dreadlocks. Oh, and I'll be sure not to forget my soured Bohemian-gypsy skirt and mildewed hemp shirt.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

MG, this is precisely why I decided not to buy a front-loader! I was all set to get one and my sister-in-law said the same thing -- that some of her clothes smell mildewy. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

My brother sells appliances and told me to leave the washer door open after washing to air out. This cuts down if not eliminates the mildew smell.

Hope this helps.

:o) mg said...

Yeah, I always leave it open thanks to the recommendation of my friend Michele.
Tonight, before I started in on the vacation laundry, I "swabbed the deck" with white vinegar.
I am suspecting that the bad bacteria is hiding in the place where you put the soap/fabric softener.