Friday, October 5, 2007

yard sale----------> over here

Tomorrow we are planning to have a yard sale. We have scoured the attic, the basement, and both floors in between. Though I am sure I will find a ton of stuff "which should have gone in the yard sale box" next week.

I was on my way to the dollar store to try to find those little circular stickers to price the stuff when I decided to call my mom. We chatted a little and then she wanted to know what I was looking for.

uh oh

Me: "Stickers."
Mom: "Stickers? What kind of stickers?"
Me: "Oh, round, button shaped stickers."
Mom: "Like yard sale stickers."
Me: (cringe) "Yep."
Mom: "Are you having a yard sale?"
Me: "Mmmm hmm"
(Here it comes, she asks this every time. Even when I donate stuff. It's her version of a Jewish-mother-guilt-trip.)
Mom: "You aren't selling anything I gave you, are you? Oh, what am I saying, of course you are."
Me: "No, ma, I'm not selling anything you gave me."
Mom: "Oh yeah, how would I ever know?"
Me: "I'd never do that Mom. And I'll tell you why. Because I never want to answer 'yes' to the question."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! that was the first thing she told me about when i talked to her! what's worse, jewish mother guilt or catholic mother guilt? ugh! or should i say, OY!?
i told her that i thought you had learned taht lesson the hard way years ago. hehehe

Kathy Gillen said...

For years my MIL thought I would sell this ugly little pitcher she gave me when DH and I got engaged. She gave it to me because, oh yeah, it was ugly. It was her MILs. Well after we'd been married for a few years she saw it in an antique guide, appraised for over $300. Everytime I had a garage sale she's say, "You aren't selling that pitcher are you?"

Yeah, I'm going to wait until she's gone, not that I'm wishing her an early demise, and then sell that puppy on ebay! Hey, my daughter likes expensive jeans!

Maria (also Bia) said...

after my husband and i had been married a few years we decided to have a yard sale. one of the items i was desperate to get rid of was a rather large oil painting of van Gogh . . . the one with his head bandaged because he cut off his ear. and wouldn't you know that it was THE VERY FIRST THING to sell that day???!!! now i sometimes have nightmares that i sold something that was actually valuable.