Monday, October 22, 2007

oh, and I got a facial, too

This weekend I went with my Mom and sister to Westglow Spa in Blowing Rock, NC. We stayed for two nights. We've had this planned for about a month or so now. I had forced myself NOT to think about it, for fear that I would be a "good for nothing daydreamer" until the day got here.
Well, the day finally did get here. I did so well with not thinking or planning for it that I was scrambling around at the last minute packing stuff.
King has been telling me for over 3 years now that I should get away for the weekend to get a break from these four walls. In typical MOM fashion (aka Martyr syndrome) I just pooh-poohed the idea until now. But we had a fantastic reason for celebrating: my Mom turning 65, my turning 40, and my sister turning 35 this year. (You can see another need for celebration in 5 years, right?)
With our two night stay, each of us got three "treatments". We had to choose from body massages and facials with fancy names and salon services out the wazoo. It was going to be one very relaxing weekend.
Sadly, as a mom of 5 I don't take the time out to laugh as much as I should. The closer I got to the weekend, the more I looked forward to not necessarily the "services", but the laughter.
Well, we laughed.
And laughed.
And laughed.
Then we took a break and laughed some more. At one point (dinner at the really fancy "Rowlands") I actually spewed my lemon-infused water all over the place. It was one of those times where you actually get a head rush & headache from being without oxygen for too long while you are gaffawing. We laughed about everything. Everyone. Ourselves. And then did it all over again. I daresay we had more laughter-filled fun than anyone in the state of North Carolina that day. When I got back into town last evening, I saw a friend of mine who commented on how great I looked. I doubt it was any of the "treatments". I am betting it was all that laughing that made me look and feel so great. Even though after the kids got used to me being home again, I was met with one mini-crisis after another, I am still on a high from all that laughter.

Yep, I can highly recommend the Westglow Spa.
The location is breath-taking, the services are relaxing, the food is beyond incredible, and the laughter.... mmm.... it's absolutely intoxicating.

5 comments:

Leah said...

That sounds divine.
I'm gonna have to plan some kind of get away like that when I'm no longer pregnant or nursing a baby. I have a group of friends from college that would absolutely be thrilled with the idea of a spa getaway!
Thanks for all the comments on my blog this morning.

Anonymous said...

you failed to mention that the lemon-infused water got sprayed mostly onto your sister. hahaha
i still love ya, though! we did have a blast!!!!

:o) mg said...

In fact, having lemon-infused water sprayed on you could actually be classified as one of their treatments. I should have charged you. But then you would've had to eat dinner in one of those robes.

Kathy Gillen said...

So glad you had a get-away. I did the same thing with my mom, sister and sister-in-laws last spring in Santa Fe. My husband goes away all the time...golf, skiing, more golf and skiing...oh yeah... and mountain climbing and fraternity reunions. He is always saying, you need to go too. But I told him I have too many mom friends (aka martyrs). I bet I could find some of his friends to go with...but we probably wouldn't laugh at the same things.

Maria (also Bia) said...

i always have the BEST time when i go away with my mom and sister. the last time we went away together was to atlanta where my sister was attending a conference. we had an absolute blast . . . and you're right about the laughter. that's the absolute best part!