Thursday, January 22, 2009

reduce, reuse, delay the inevitable

I'm all about recycling. My father-in-law has been collecting aluminum cans now for years. There is a bin near the fire department where you can donate your used soda cans. The money that is raised goes to the families of burn victims.
Also, I think recycling newspaper or other types of paper is a fabulous idea. I love stationery and when I see that it is made from recycled materials, it gives me that warm, fuzzy, I'm-saving-the-planet feeling.
My kids have brought home crafty little artistic goodies from school which have been made with recycled stuff. But I have to wonder, aren't we delaying the inevitable? I mean, just how long can we hold on to stuff like this?


(picture was borrowed from this website)

2 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

I come to the hard realization that I cannot keep everything my kids make in school...recycling or not. So, during the year I put all their stuff in a basket, and when summer rolls around I keep only the good and memorable ones. Then, from THAT stack I photograph the exceptional ones and put the photos into their school albums (I keep one for each one). So, when the stuff finally makes it to an official storage box, I have reduced a year's worth of papers into 10 papers/projects/art pieces.

But those caterpillars sure are cute...

Laura said...

I used to love making those caterpillar thingies.....