Friday, January 2, 2009

quiet... that's a problem because......?

Getting back to a tradition that we had for several years running, we took all the kids to the zoo. Number 4 was ecstatic. His joy could not be contained. So much so that on several occasions, he ran ahead of the pack and got in trouble. Imagine standing in front of a serene aquarium with tons of fish swimming around, thinking all the kids are just as hypnotized by the seemingly choreographed water ballet as you are, then realizing there is not a bouncing three year old boy nearby. Then again at the tiger cage. And in the monkey tunnel. And when we were watching the elephants, etc etc etc. My adrenal glands pumped out more cortisol and adrenaline in four hours yesterday than it did all year long.
After the zoo, our three oldest children went to my sister-in-law's house for a few days. After getting back into town, King and I took the two little ones for a quick bite to eat (as if we hadn't had enough fun and excitement for one day).

He asked, "Do you miss the kids?"
Me, "are you kidding? No." Feeling guilty I added, " Not yet anyway. You?"
"Yeah, I do a little. I mean, the ride home was just so quiet," he answered.

Silly mortal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I literally sat here at LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!!! My hubby is looking at me like I'm crazy!!! I picture that sweet angel crawling around with the tigers and swinging with monkeys and you having a STROKE!!!!