Thursday, January 29, 2009

like birthing a baby

While I can't speak for others, my creativity waxes and wanes. I am not always a creative person. Every once in awhile, though, I do become "driven" to create. Like, now, for instance.

Y'see, wha-ha-happened-wuz: A friend led me to a website that has exquisite redwork designs. Redwork (see this sample) is basically an outline of a design. So I am perusing the website and absolutely fall in love with two design sets that feature drawings of young women in fashions from the 1920's. My mind immediately shows me a quilt... one that features these designs as the "blocks" and uses only black and white fabrics.

It was like torture waiting for a chunk of time to be able to hit the fabric stores. King had been out of town and this and that and the other thing, so many things prevented me from going. My "inner brat" had to wait a couple of days. Ugh! But, I had a tunnel vision desire to get to there. It was fueled by the same powerful feeling that comes over a 9 month pregnant woman who is driven to "nest".

We have two major fabric stores in town. I hit the first and just stood in front of the fabrics. Walked up and down the aisles of cotton bolts. Holding a favorite fabric up against another and then deciding it wasn't the right one. Finally, after visiting both stores, I headed home, victorious and inspired.

So, in between meals and during naptimes or bedtimes, I am working to make this picture in my mind a reality. I want to make things to sell to help the family budget, but I'm not sure if I am going to be able to do it, unless I make two of the same quilts. *sigh*

Here's a sneak peek:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

girl, you have 5 kids, start your own sweatshop & mass-produce these puppies! hahahaa
can't wait to see the finished product!!! it will be gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

It is going to be beautiful.

Laura said...

Well you just taught me some stuff today. I like all of it.
You go girl.