Wednesday, July 16, 2008

sum sum summertime

My kids and I have a different perspective on how the summer is going. When someone asks them "How's your summer going?" They always give a positive answer.
When I am asked the same question I pause, roll my eyes and say, "It's going!" I am mentally comparing this summer to last when we did lots of neat things like visiting a glass-blower studio, going to a cheese factory, walking around historic Old Salem in NC, etc. We haven't done as much this year. I sort of feel guilty about not being a better "activities director".

Thirty years ago or so, summers for my sister and I were low-key. We were responsible for our own fun many times, unless we were visiting family. We would begin each summer by spending a week camping at the lake with the whole fam-damily- like I'm talking extended family even! Then we'd be adopted for several days by each of our dad's sisters (he has 4) and then finish the time off by spending a week at my grandparents'. I can remember swimming, going to Stone Mountain for the light show, and one aunt even got me art lessons because she somehow knew that I loved art. But the most fun of all was being with our cousins. During the rest of the year, we were 6 hours away, but during the summertime, we got to spend lots and lots of time with our very favorite people.

So, when I look at the summer of 2008, it's no wonder my kids give a resounding thumbs up. They have gotten to spend a time with each of their cousins and are planning a couple more in a week or two. And, my job as Family Activity Director is probably a fairly secure position.

No comments: