Thursday, July 17, 2008

picnic disaster

Picnic disasters. I imagine the propensity was handed down, genetically speaking, by my mother.

To this day, if you mention the word picnic to my mom, she will no doubt tell you about the only time she planned one for my brother, my sister and I. She packed homemade fried chicken, biscuits, slaw, potato salad, etc. and loaded up the family and drove to a park for a picnic. (And she was NO June Cleaver, so this was a big deal!) In her mind it was going to be sheer perfection. No sooner had we gotten there than the gentle spring zephyr turned into gale force winds. The sun was still shining beautifully, but the wind was formidable! Mom swears the crust was blown off the chicken! The memory of this picnic to her is just plain disaster. Sad, really, because I remember what fun it was to be on a picnic (our only) with my family.

I love taking my family on picnics. The funny thing is they mostly are disastrous not unlike the one and only from my childhood. Take today for example. We were planning to go to the Science Center but it was very close to lunchtime, so I stopped and got us McD's salads. We head to the Science Center and find a gorgeous parking spot in the shade. All the picnic tables are empty and shaded. There is a gentle breeze. The perfect day. As we launch into our salads, remarking to one another about how beautiful the day is, we began to feel raindrops. There was not a cloud in the sky, so I figured it was just one of those freaky things that wouldn't last long. We kept feeling drops, but it was still a mystery as to where they were coming from (I thought at one point we were unknowing participants in a Science Center hidden camera experiment) until we noticed that the raindrops were actually soapy and there was the faintest smell of Clorox. Turns out the Science Center, connected to a 15 story apartment building, was being pressure washed today. Even though the pressure washer dude was ALL the way at the VERY TIPPY TOP, those soapy, bleach-laden droplets were raining down onto our lunch. Into our drinks. Onto our shirts.
I was livid.
I cursed.
Out loud!
Then I remembered "The Picnic" and I had to laugh.

Hopefully my children will remember it fondly and with the humor God must have intended. Unlike my Mom, I will not swear off picnics, but I will try to continue to approach them with the attitude that we are together as a family and this will make a GREAT story one day.

So, what about you? Do you have any picnic disaster stories?

3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

Our oldest son was just two when we were headed to Va. Beach for Thanksgiving. Trying to be health conscious, I packed a delicious lunch and, for fun, we decided to picnic at that cheesy, touristy spot "South of the Border". Our son sat at the foot of a giant plastic grizzly and happily ate his sandwich. When it was time to go we picked him up only to realize that (and this is a terrible cliche, I know) he was covered in ants . . . ants everywhere . . . even in his underwear! We frantically stripped him in the parking lot and had to actually throw away his clothes. Amazingly, he didn't get even one ant bite.

Your picnic story is great!

"Picnic!" called mg.
A spot carefully chosen;
then, acid rain falls.

So sorry. I can't stop thinking in haiku. Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

you are forgetting the one where the fly landed on my potato salad & i never ate potato salad again. that meal was catered by kfc. (i still don't like mustard-y potato salad.
remember the picnic we took to city park in burlington a few years back? the well-planned & carefully thought-out picnic on that hot, still day. as soon as we got our food out, the breeze started!
becky & i had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago at the museum of life & science in durham. no sooner had we sat down, the wind kicked up. i think it must be a universal. either wind or ants.

Laura said...

Found you at Bia's.
(Yes the 5/7/5 rule is in stone)
Break the rules...be a rebel.

But I am really writing about the picnic issue. I wrote about picnics one day. (I don't love them.) Picnics on tables okay.
Picnics in the grass..I fake that I like them because it makes me seem un-American.
But shhhhh....picnics are overated. (Are there 2 r's in overrated?)