Thursday, January 5, 2012

growing pains

Just had the first born sit beside me to register online for the ACT.  I am not sure what it was about the process that got her so bothered, but there was a lot of moaning and groaning and angry mutterings.

"Ughhhh, I hate writing!  I don't want to take the writing part.  Do not sign me up for THAT." 

But the college we've talked about you going to requires it. 

"Noooooooo.  I don't even want to go to *insert parental alma mater here*."

You will be fine.

"No it won't.  I won't be ready."

It's ok, if you do poorly, you can re-take it.

"No, that's stupid."

And so on.  You get the picture.

I have always tended to shelter No. 1 as she is a timid little sprout.  However, just before Christmas, during a little chat the two of us had, I lovingly broke the news that I am planning on gently nudging her over the next year or so to get her ready to leave the nest. 
I'm pretty sure putty will fill in the scratches
 ~ nailmarks of hesitancy~

But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 8:11-12).




2 comments:

Anita said...

Letting go is hard but absolutely necessary. Our children have to have their wits about them as they face a brave new world on their own. We don't do them any favors not to prepare them to be independent adults. In fact, we handicap them if we don't do so.
And I agree with No. 1. Taking standardized tests is not a fun way to spend a Saturday! BTW, neither of ours interested in our alma mater. NOT one bit!

lizzerd said...

if she needs time away & on her own, she is more than welcome to visit her favorite-aunt-on-her-mom's-side & those other people who live in this house!!! in fact, if she wants to check out colleges here, i'll be glad to show her around. there are LOTS of them in this area, as you well know!