Tuesday, February 9, 2010

could be, y'just never know

Recently the kids and I were heading to a local bar/grille where on Thursday nights they have Irish music.... my daughter's fiddle teacher plays there with a group of folks and has invited her to play with them.

(So do you get that I am a mom whose ten year old daughter joins in on jam sessions at a bar?!?! But wait, there's more... number one, along with her Irish dance friends have also been known to get up and dance a jig or two. But I promise, it isn't as sinister as it sounds - it's actually in the grille side of the place, separate from the bar.)
But I digress, back to the car scene.
So my always-a-source-for-humor four year old says, "Mommy, please let me marry you. Because I want to give you a ring."

"Even though that is sweet, honey, we can't be married. Mommy would have to go to jail, be on tv, and people would call me bad names," I teased (on a level that probably left him befuddled).
"Besides," I continued, "God has someone very special picked out just for you. Somewhere in the world, there is a girl that you are supposed to marry. She is eating her veggies and growing up and having all kinds of experiences, sort of like you, sweetie. And the most fun is that it will be a surprise. Mommy doesn't know who she is, Daddy doesn't know, sisters nor brother know....".

"Who is it Mommy?" he was dying to know. The boy doesn't like surprises.

"I don't know. We will have to wait until you are a grown up to find out."

Fast forward to "da bar" where we were planning to meet up with friends we hadn't been able to spend enough time with for much too long (they have kids our kids ages). He walks into the room and their two girls come to greet us, giving special attention to "above-mentioned four year old", because... well, because he is just a magnet for attention.

He runs up to me, holding their youngest daughter by the hand (she is two years older than he and is equally as entertaining) and says, pointing, "Mommy, Mommy, is SHE the one?!?!"

5 comments:

lizzerd said...

that boy is a character & 1/2!!!! so funny!

MaryPat said...

hysterical! he is the cutest little guy and too smart already....they would definitely be an energetic couple and so full of personality :)

M said...

What if he's called the priesthood?! Although I think they would make a cute couple haha

Emerging Domesticity said...

I LOVE THIS ... so cute!

Anita said...

And to think they meet at a bar. ;)
Hey, my 20 and 18 year ask me that age old question too..."How will I know the one?"
Whoever she is for #4, she is special. That is for sure.