Sunday, May 3, 2009

ouch, that smarts

Just got home from a magical evening with numbero uno. A formal. Watching her dance in a sea of beautiful gowns and tuxedos was breathtaking. Our other children were with their new favorite babysitter, a girl with a very sweet smile and chipper personality.
The whole evening, from start to finish was rawther lengthy. The formal dance lasted three hours and then it took a good thirty minutes to get out of the place to the "after party" (where we finally got to eat dinner - at ten o'clock!). We then chatted with the parents who were there and let the kids hang out a bit longer.
We got home and paid the sweet sitter who appeared to have fallen asleep on the couch. Wanting to check my emails before bed, I went to the computer and saw that she had failed to close out her facebook page a few minutes earlier where she was chatting with a friend about how angry she was that she had to be here so long. The chat text wasn't so complimentary of us.

I really could cry it hurt my feelings so badly. A million scenarios went through my head as I thought about what to do. I called King downstairs so he could see it and we talked about what action I should take. At this point, I am sticking with an apology for getting in late (though I did pay her what I thought was a hefty "tip" for being here later than she expected) and trying to get over it. I want so badly to take the high road. No, actually I don't. Actually I want to tell her how much she hurt our feelings. Not only that, but I don't think we will be able to in good conscience hire her again. Which adds another layer of sadness in it for me. But, I will try to maintain a "Laura Bush" type approach and be a lady about it all. After I go have a good cry that is.

4 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

that's too bad . . . don't let the insensitivity of a teen (and there's PLENTY of that going around) ruin the memories of a fun evening.

your daughter looked lovely, we all had a lovely meal while the adults got to visit, and a good time was had by all.

but that facebook . . . ugh.

Sandy said...

I can imagine how hurt you must be. This would be where I would need a hand over my mouth because not only would I not use her again as a babysitter but I would tell her why.

lizzerd said...

i am sorry that happened, but you really ought to have a talk with her and/or with her parents. she ought to be grateful to have a way to make money that does not involve working too hard or selling herself in the streets. there are plenty of mature, responsible people who actually have a work ethic and would be happy to babysit for you and not complain about it, i am sure!

also, don't let the immature, complaining of a spoiled brat teenager hurt your feelings. life will have a few hard lessons for her!!

Sheila Joyce Hunt said...

I agree with Liz! Having lived through 2 teenage girls, I have to say that she will probably be embarrassed and sad that she has upset you. Teenagers talk BIG but are just hiding their own insecurities. I say talk to her and tell her that what she wrote upset you. Sometimes I don't think they're smart enought to even consider the consequences of their actions. If she's a good babysitter and the kids enjoyed her, talk to her! Or better yet, give her MY phone number and I'll give her a piece of MY REDNECK mind!!! LOL