Sunday, April 12, 2009

day one

On the way to the beach, I was reading a magazine article that asked: How much time do you spend thinking about your weight & your health?

eek. The question took me aback. The reality of how much mental energy versus physical energy I put into worrying about my weight is shocking. Embarassing even.

For several months now, I have needed to get back into the routine I had going this past summer. I long for that exercise groove I was in: Exercising and eating right.

So, today is Day 1 of my latest attempt to climb on the wagon to health and wellness. I keep waiting for it to become a way of life. Yet, for some freaky reason, it continues to seem like punishment.

I have battled hives for several years now, and have pinned down the three things I think trigger the allergic reaction: sugar, preservatives, caffeine. As expensive as it may be, I am going to make an attempt to eat fresh fruits & veggies and limit my meat consumption to fish and occasional poultry. I have never liked pork (causes me to retain fluid) so that won't be any skin off my nose. Beef only tempts me in two forms: hamburger or filet mignon.

A couple of years ago I tried this way of eating and lost 7 lbs in a week! "Why didn't you continue?" you ask. I'm not sure I know the answer. What's more, I'm not sure I can "turn off" what causes me to sabotage myself.

No comments: