Friday, April 24, 2009

concept: spring cleaning

This is sad and embarrassing to admit, but I am getting so tired of my living room and the furniture in it and the color of the walls in my dining room and the way my butler's pantry is wasted space. I want one of those houses from the pages of a magazine where there is only "staged" clutter such as a pair of flip flops near an ottoman or a glass of wine and a half eaten cracker on a table near the couch. My reality is that there are shoes everywhere (admittedly I'm the worst about it), the dining room table is covered with papers, and while there may be half eaten crackers, they are usually near an upside down sippy cup.
I know it's ridiculous to even worry about it. On one hand, I love things that stay the same. Like when I visit my grandparents' home, things rarely change there. The furniture stays in the same arrangement, the pictures hang in their respective places. The guest rooms are painted the same color as always. The sheets on one of the beds, the ones that have always gone with the bed in there, are so dreamy. If you ask me what the softest thing in the world is, I'd take you to their house and let you feel those sheets. It is comforting to be greeted by things that are consistent.
On the other hand, in my own home, I spend so much time within these four walls, looking at the same amount of clutter that seems to accumulate in no time flat, vacuuming the same floors, moving the same furniture around to clean under. Dusting (occasionally) the same surfaces. It's all so UNexciting and I want lotsa change.
I understand that I sound like a spoiled brat and I'll get over it all..., but to do so, I really have to be honest, and see it all written down like this. I guess that's why the concept of "spring cleaning" was invented - to give sad, tired, hausfraus like me a fresh look at her nest.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I have about half usuable table space. The other half has my bp kit, a container of tomatoes, some dark chocolate and assorted papers. No sippy cups today.:)

Maria (also Bia) said...

If the hausfrau needs a change . . . why, come on over and dust, move furniture, and vacuum over here! The change will do you wonders! :)

Darby said...

MG, The designer you're thinking of from Cottage Living is Anne Turner Carroll... a friend of mine {and my sister's}... I too wish she'd come back! She's a design genius! I passed your comment on to her! :) Have a great weekend!!