Wednesday, January 23, 2008

phenomenonal

phenomenon: "That which strikes one as strange, unusual, or unaccountable; an extraordinary or very remarkable person, thing, or occurrence."

King is out of town this week. For the second week in a row. I think in Latin that would be translated as: sola parenta.
Every time (and that is no exaggeration) he leaves the city limits, there is chaos waiting in the wings.

Here is a little list to bring you "up to speed" on this week's chaos:
-The 2 year old has some strange virus and has been running a high fever and hallucinating all night.
-The 10 month old is teething and is cranky and is up and crying half the night.
-If that is not nearly enough fun and excitement for one old dame, there was tonight's trip to the ER in which #3 got a stitch in her top lip.
Yes, that's right folks, I got to spend a huge chunk of time and money at one of our local hospitals trying to calm an 8 year old's nerves about her first experience with "stitches". This sweet cherub was at a roller skating party where the climax of the party was to skate in the dark - no lights except for a disco ball.
Y'know how the lights go round and round and when you are skating one way, the lights are turning the other way?
Well, she got disoriented and fell. (Heck, I am about to fall off my computer desk chair just imagining it.) She then hit her face right on the shiny wooden floor, breaking her fall with her top lip. And, well, her front tooth - you know, that big one right there on top? It pierced her top lip. Of course it wouldn't have been so exciting for all the other party-goers if there had not been so much blood. And screaming. And a trail leading all the way to the girl's room.
*sigh*
God bless that sweet little thing. She was so brave. Once we were in the exam room where it was light enough for these old eyes to see, she sheepishly asked "Do you think I'll have to have stitches?"
"I'd have to guess yes, honey."
She got so anxious about it all that her body started shaking and she grew quite pale and very cold. She couldn't control her shivers. But she was very brave. She wanted to know if I was scared when I had to have stitches. To further calm her nerves, I read aloud to her two stories from Guideposts. One was about a man who takes handicapped kids out on horse carriage rides. The other was about a lady who took in a stray kitten and somehow it related back to her grown son whose life was "astray".
After I finished the stories, the doctor came in and gave my sweet girl her first stitch. She hardly even winced (may I recommend Zap!). I was so proud of her.
Anyway, we are home now. Tired. Sore. Swollen. Poorer. Yet, richer. But mostly tired.
Yep, God carried me through this crazy day, an all around phenomenal day.

3 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

oh, my goodness. i had a bad feeling when you were incommunicado for so long...and then my middle son told me your son had been absent...AND i know your hubby has been traveling...

okay...take a deep breath and know that we'll say a prayer for you today. hope everything gets better. God bless.

Anonymous said...

hmm, i think when king gets home, it's time for queen to get some time out of the house! wanna come up here? love you!!

Leah said...

Oh, bless you!
I can only imagine her horror. 8 years old. Skating Rink. Bloody lip. All her friends. AND the boys, too!
I would have stayed in the restroom for the rest of the night.
But then, I broke my arm as a 12 year old. I never even winced until the x-ray tech told me it was broken. Then I cried. But the cute male nurse made it all better. ;)