Sunday, September 30, 2007

nuttin but fun

Friday night King and I hosted a costume party to ring in 40 (as someone else). He was a retired, now-living-at-the-beach New Yorker named "Mel" complete with black knee socks, sandals, a Hawaiian shirt halfway buttoned, a sun hat and opaque white sunscreen on his nose. All he was missing was a gold necklace with an Italian horn charm.
I was the Baroness d'Antiquity (aka Lipoma Dutchess) and donned a powdered wig, pearls, and period costume.

Many of the people we invited ran into babysitter problems, which makes me sad, because it was truly a fun night and we missed their presence. Among those who were able to make it: The scariest woman in the world (I'll give you three guesses), a purple-headed witch, a 1920's flapper, the Count and Countess Dracula, a Geisha, a dirty old man (I'll leave it at that), a pregnant woman and the mailman that made her that way, a soccer mom and dad, a pirate and his wench, Bat Girl and a harried, pregnant, cigar-smokin' housewife with a baby attached to "her" chest, Shaggy and Velma, Fred and Wilma Flintstone, a ball-and-chain wife and her husband who came as "chicken, cord on blue", Mona Lisa and Leonardo da Vinci, "Dumb Ass and Smart Ass" (donkey t-shirts with Smarties/Dum-Dum candy glued to them), a gypsy and her friend (who came with her because her husband was at home with a sick kid), and finally, a "man who was dressed just like our friend Terry".


Several of our friends brought us wine (yum!) and my friend with the Mona Lisa smile brought me a tiara to wear in my new laundry room.

It was the first time we had hosted a party in our newly-landscaped back yard. I always worry a little that people won't have fun and will want to go home early and will "have something else going on" the next time we invite them over. I think this taps into feelings of inadequacy that are left over from me at a younger age. Hopefully, now that I am nearly a week into being fourty, I will be able to discard those thoughts and sally forth into this new era.

6 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

mg-
You didn't have anything to worry about because you hosted a truly lovely party! My husband and I had a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

wow! you look great!!! either you are shrinking or that dress hides a multitude of sins. sounds like the night was a raging success. wish i could have been there!

:o) mg said...

Well, after a weekend of eating goodies from Sam's club (let's just say 2 bite brownies add up when you eat them in one bite) I feel like the Hindenburg.
Also, yes, not only does the dress cover a multitude of sins, it covers a lot of FAT too!

Pat said...

I can just see you saying, "Let them eat cake," and proffering your flax seed and cinnamon Piece de Resistance.

Rachel said...

Sounds like it was fun!! My sister was babysitting for two of your partygoers who got home at 2am! I'm sad we had to miss.

Kathy Gillen said...

What a fun party. I think big events should be marked with a good time. Happy Forty!