Friday, September 7, 2007

the moron in oxymoron

Yesterday, when I was heading to the car after my workout I noticed that someone had stamped out their cigarette just before going in the gym.

"I do care about my health, therefore I am going to work out at this gym."
"I don't care about my health, therefore I smoke."

Maybe this person had dual personalities. Inner conflict. Perhaps s/he thought that the good that was being done inside the gym would counterbalance the bad being done outside of it.
All or nothing if you ask me. When I smoked I couldn't have cared less about my health or exercise. In fact, I used to scoff at folks who would walk this fairly steep grade of a road in our neighborhood. hmmph.
Health- the slowest possible rate at which someone can die.
However, when I decided to quit, I did it for good. Made a promise to God. I only asked that He keep the cravings at bay. Done deal. Thank you, Jesus!

Now, with all of that said, don't even try to pin me down on why I will celebrate a successful week of being good on a diet with a chunk of birthday cake. (NOW who's the moron?!?!) If you look up "self- destructive" or "fear of success" in the dictionary, that will be me waving at you.

1 comment:

Patti Doughty said...

Last week I rented the first Pink Panther movie for my children. The humor is so bizarre, I thought they'd really get a kick out of it. There's a Princess in it (the owner of the Pink Panther stone) that refuses alcohol because of its dangerous effect on one's health, but smokes like a brick plant.

Hope hubby has a wonderful birthday. I planned my own party for my 40th. - dancing, food, the works. We had a wonderful time celebrating.

Patti