Sunday, November 23, 2008

file under: homonymn

All day long today I've been tired. Yesterday I had to get up at the butt-crack of dawn (that is 4 a.m. for those of you not "in the know") and drive two and a half hours to an Irish dance competition. It went long - way long- and we didn't get home until after midnight. Needless to say, my rear is draggin'.
Now, I am also fighting a bad cold. So, I'm sick.
Sick.
And tired.

Fast forward to an hour ago, when the little kids were going nuts because it was bedtime and they were past due for rest as well. His royal highness, number 4 was wailing because I wouldn't let him read a book, and the usually good-natured number 5 was screaming her head off because.... well, I have no idea what set her off. Then I was just "sick 'n tired'.

Sick 'n tired AND sick, and tired. Two phrases that sound the same but have different meanings.

No comments: