Saturday, May 17, 2008

what a special day

It was a great day... the day my third child has been waiting on for quite some time now.... her First Holy Communion!
She was able to sleep "late". I got her up, sent her downstairs where King had her breakfast ready. Then she came back up the stairs, got dressed, and I fixed her hair and put on her veil. Goosebumps break out on me when I think of how beautiful she was.
Simple. Elegant. Beautiful.

Christ's child.

It was a relaxed day. We didn't get to the church two hours early to stake out seats like some (first-time parents) did. We didn't snap tons of photos. I did get some pictures (the non-digital kind) to put into her photo album. We didn't try to force our way into the pew in order to best be able to see that moment when she meets Christ for the first time in the Eucharist.

This day was not for us. It was for her.

She sat with her class. Lots of second graders, no doubt all with a case of the butterflies, all sitting together. Waiting. We caught glimpses of her now and then, but I knew she was in Good Hands. Today in a brand new way, she belongs to Christ.

First Communion. A sacred moment. Very powerful.

1 comment:

Maria (also Bia) said...

Good for you for not getting caught up in the frantic scramble to "get a good seat". You were very wise parents to recognize that this day was about your child.

I am glad it was such a wonderful day.