Tuesday, May 13, 2008

hold your nose and vote

I don't know who came up with that little witticism, but I heard it first from my sister. I tend to think in Far Side cartoons anyway, so it really got me tickled.
Someone I admire a lot has a blog (in addition to a successful radio show on WSB out of Atlanta!) recently posted his opinion of Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos". Though I posted a comment, I thought I would also include it on my own blogspot.
I do not agree with Allen that voting is a divine gift. I think it is a right, a privilege and a responsibility and should not be done flippantly. I also think that no matter which side of the fence you happen to be standing on, in this election, there are three fresh, giant cow pies that cannot be avoided.
Furthermore, there are two people running who the American people basically know about. There will be relatively few surprises if one of them wins. The third candidate is shrouded in a veil of the unknown and there are too many scary possibilities (aka race war) if he should be elected.
I have no idea if "Operation Chaos" really makes a big difference or not, because when a voter steps into that booth, I'd be willing to bet that 9 times out of 10, they vote their own conscience anyway. Sure, there is strength in numbers, but in the voting booth, it's just you and that lever, baby!

No comments: