Tuesday, May 27, 2008

hoping for a smooth landing

The last week of school is upon us. For the two older ones, this means exam time. For me, it means the last week of sanity. Beginning Monday morning, you may as well bring me a white jacket. It is by far the worst week of the year.

The kids buy into the false belief that they have NOTHING to do for two and a half months. They think they can sleep and "laze" around and just be. The problem is, they don't do well with NOTHING to do. It is during this incredibly long 5 day span that I also learn that they don't do well with NOTHING planned. Therefore, by default I become the Activity Director.

By week two, we have gotten things ironed out and everyone is ok with their schedules. But until then, The Pilot has turned on the please fasten seatbelt sign.


3 comments:

Kathy Gillen said...

I'm just a couple weeks behind and starting to brace for turbulance. Summer activities are one thing that seemed easier when they were younger. With older kids, who know the joys of video games, computers and sleeping in, the challenge is on!

Anonymous said...

i can't wait until school is out! i really miss having julia in the house to help me out & hang with me when she is at school. not to mention, we can actually go somewhere during the day without having to rush home in time to see her off the bus at 2:30. she is my ally against the 2 little ones!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I'm glad we're picking the boys up from school on friday and heading straight to the beach. This way, hopefully we'll skip that first week of summer insanity. I'll spend my week in the sun planning a definite schedule.