Thursday, November 29, 2007

six a.m.

Having worked the "late shift" last night with #1 and her crazy dance schedule, I didn't get to bed until after midnight. This morning to my chagrin, the baby decides 4 a.m. is a great time to awaken for the day. Goodie.
Fast forward to 6 a.m. and I have just brought the dirty laundry downstairs to get it started in the washer. Number 4, (bless his little "NO, David!" heart) was eager to help out. I was trying to be as creative as I could about having him help. But his eagerness to be helpful outran his mother's ability to find something to have him do. Then it happened.

I was forced to use his whole name... All. Three. Names.

Each said with such clarity so that there would be no mistaking the fact that my gentle ("no, that doesn't go there, don't push that yet, etc.") reminders weren't just meaningless utterances. Secretly, I did get a little tickled, because, even though, believe it or not, this was the first time I had to Use. Three. Names., he knew exactly what it meant to hear them like that.

4 comments:

Kathy Gillen said...

I bet is worked better than all other methods. But he wanted to help with the laundry!!! Someday he'll do it on his own. YEAH!

Leah said...

My #4 doesn't like being called by his middle name. I only use first and middle for minorly serious infractions.
LEVI ALEXANDER!
Then he says, "I NOT Alexander!"

Maria (also Bia) said...

My Mom never used our three names when she got annoyed with me; no,instead she would roll her "r"'s so that my name would be "Marrrrrrrrrrrrrria". That's when I knew I was in trouble. I hadn't thought of that in years. God bless, mg.

Maria (also Bia) said...

mg, i'm tagging you for a fun Christmas tag. check out my site for more info. God bless.