Wednesday, December 5, 2007

shopping for my favorite people

Each year for nearly a decade our parish has had what is called an "Angel Tree" which is put up on the first Sunday of Advent. It has lots and lots of paper angels on it and each angel has a gift request from a needy family in the area.
My tradition has been to get as many angel gift tags as we have children. So this year we picked 5 angels from the tree. Like clockwork, when we come home from Mass that day I find that I am just chomping at the bit to go shopping for these people. I have no idea who they are, but my heart is bursting with love for each of them. If I could buy them the moon and wrap it up for them to open on Christmas day I would.
In fact, I think it is safe to say that I enjoy getting the Angel Tree gifts more than any of the other shopping I have to do this time of year. I almost resent anything I get for my own kids, yet I will gladly get an 8 year old a "hand held sports game" or an "outfit for a 4 year old".
Wrapping them, though, is the best. "Merry Christmas to a beautiful little girl" or "Merry Christmas to a very special young man" is the message I tuck into each package. I always pray that when they read those words, it will make them feel as special as they are to me.

2 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

That's a beautiful tradition. As a family we always pick an angel off the tree, but I never thought to get three . . . one for each of our boys. "Mille grazie" for the wonderful idea!

Leah said...

What a great idea. I may have to start that next year. I know I should do it this year, but we are kinda broke and at wits end figuring out Christmas for our own kids.