Thursday, December 6, 2007

here goes

OK, after monogramming nearly 100 scarves for the school Christmas bazaar, (or as King calls it, the Christmas BIZARRE because the kids get him the same coffee mug year after year) I am finally taking the time to step up to the challenge of Bia's tag.

I was, oh, five or so when I got a Chrissy doll. It was so neat. She had a ponytail that you could pull and it would "grow" long. Then to make it short again, you turned a knob on her back. I don't really remember playing with her like every day or anything, but I do recall how incredibly happy I was to see her that Christmas morning waiting on me under the tree. It must be one of my earliest memories. I can remember my green felt stocking with my name on it too.

As a grown-up, I do love the "things"... like I am rawther enjoying my new embroidery machine, which must be capable of so many things that I haven't even discovered yet. But, it's the intangibles that I most appreciate....
-seeing Christmas through the eyes of my children.
-the Christmas I found out I was expecting #4
-friends stopping by and spending a bit of time out of their crazy schedule to get caught up with us
-hearing that a dear friend of mine, whose birthday happens to be a few days after Christmas (what a great Christmas present she must have been) is in the process of reconciling her marriage
-the "no pressure" feeling of Christmas break ("riding" the day as if it were a stallion on a mission all it's own)

As far as my future Christmas gift goes..... don't know if I can dream that big, but I'd want it to include my children, all grown and happy and healthy, and tons of grandkids.

1 comment:

Maria (also Bia) said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't know what a Chrissy doll was, but when I clicked on the link it brought back so many memories. I never had one, but a friend of mine did, and I still remember how much I loved to pull the ponytail to make it grow. It reminds me of my Tuesday Taylor Barbie doll. The top part of her head turned so you could make her a brunette or a blond.

You certainly lived the stewardship pledge of giving of your time and talent by monogramming all those scarves!