Sunday, June 9, 2013

kefir

I just made kefir for the first time.  Should be ripe in 48 hours.  If I live, I will report on how it turned out. 

If you don't know what kefir is, it is sort of like plain yogurt, 'cept you drink it.  (Two weeks ago, if you were to ask me what kefir was, I would have said, "It's what we call my cousin, the second born son of my father's brother."  His name is actually Keith.)



I combined and warmed Half and Half (note the extremely cute, vintage-styled milk bottle it comes in) and organic whole milk (pasteurized, but not ultra-pasteurized) with the kefir starter grains and am now storing it at room temp in the microwave for the first 24 hours.  Then I am supposed to strain it and let it sit another day. 

Adventures in home chemistry.  Wheee!

No comments: