Friday, June 1, 2012

narrowing the scope of political correctness

my·op·ic

[mahy-op-ik, -oh-pik]
adjective
1.  Ophthalmology . pertaining to or having myopia; nearsighted.
2. unable or unwilling to act prudently; shortsighted.
3. lacking tolerance or understanding; narrow-minded.
 
**************************

So, here we were driving home from filling our WMD with lead-free gasoline when we see this enormous billboard with an anti-bullying message.... which made us then wonder, "When does the enforcement of a No Bullying campaign become a form of bullying itself?
Walking the fine lines of political correctness.  It's a tightrope kind of world out there.


Furthermore, I wonder if bullies honestly care that they aren't being "PC"?

1 comment:

Anita said...

The whole way we are handling the bullying issue is driving me bats. First we tell bullies...don't bully. Yea, that's really going to stop a bully. Second, we don't teach kids to stand up for themselves which I believe to be the only real way to stop a bully.

I was bullied in middle school relentlessly by the captain of the basketball team. I was one of the shortest kids in my class (call me, Leo the Late Bloomer). Bullying is hard to prove to anybody..teachers, parents, and besides I was afraid it would have made it worse to tell them. Bullies don't bully in front of authority figures.
One day at lunch I ordered the hot lunch of beanie weanies with apple sauce. I went over and sat beside my bully. Then I dumped my tray right on his lap...all. of. it! I told him to leave me alone. Period. I got up and marched out of the cafeteria (shaking on the inside).
The lead football coach stopped me on the way out. He said, "Hey, little lady, I noticed you dropped your lunch." (Think panic!!) Then he goes on and pulls money out of his pocket, "You might be hungry." Little did I know that he couldn't stand that basketball player either.
He didn't bother me anymore.