Tuesday, March 24, 2009

a war worth fighting

Our oldest is receiving the Sacrament of Confirmation this fall. We have been asked to write a letter to our pastor, reflecting on the moment: why he/she should be confirmed, her religious education, and how we as a family live out our Catholic faith. I sat down to write a draft of the letter today. I had to wait until the little ones were down for a nap. I wanted to write it in quiet, in solitude, listening to the wisdom of the Holy Spirit, whom I received fully at my own Confirmation.
In writing the letter, I was reminded that not only will she will receive this permanent mark and become a fully-initiated member of the Church, she will also join the ranks of the Church Militant. I remember learning that there are three parts of the church and wanted to refresh my memory so I can better discuss it with her.
The Church Militant: Christians who are living, fighting against sin and defending their faith, The Church Suffering: Christians who are in Purgatory, and The Church Triumphant: Christians in Heaven. It is very important to see ourselves as part of a bigger picture, of all those who have lived and all those who will live. Thinking of ourselves as part of the Church Militant helps us with our mission to spread the Gospel message throughout the "battlefield" we've been given. Some are drawn to take the message to a faraway place, some of us are called to spread the Good News in our own homes and parishes.
I can't help but suspect, in light of what is going on in our country and throughout the world, that our role as soldiers is going to become extremely important: defending life, defending Christ, and not growing weak on where we stand as Catholics.

ps- Read Fr. Dwight Longenecker's prophet-like blog entry on the subject.

1 comment:

Maria (also Bia) said...

It's funny you should write this . . . we just received a letter from Sr. Gaudiosa, and when she heard Nicholas was to be confirmed in the fall she referred to him as a "soldier of Christ".

BTW, I am working on that very same letter myself . . .