Sunday, March 1, 2009

snobbery

I have to get onto my Number One child all the time, because she is so extremely quiet and unassertive. Not that I want her to be the polar opposite, but she should at least smile and acknowledge when she is spoken to or smiled at by a schoolmate. Someone is going to mistake her for a snob.

Which reminds me, a friend of mine and I were discussing snobbery the other day.
We live in an old neighborhood and folks who don't live here most often call the folks who do "snobs". I don't know why. Granted I don't know all the people who live in the neighborhood, but I do know quite a few, none of which are snobs.
My friend also said that her sister is sometimes leery of going to social events because of the way the people there stare at her when she walks in the room. (Mind you, both she and her sister are GORGEOUS, which is probably why they get stared at, but I digress.) She suspects they are snobs.
Now, I wonder, are the people at the party really snobs, or does the sister assume they are? Is it a case of self-consciousness and she is projecting snobbery onto the party goers? And if she ends up NOT going to a party because of the people who might be there, does that make her a snob? (she isn't but I'm just sayin'...)

This post really doesn't have a point, really. But, it got me thinking about my own actions, have I ever acted like a snob? eek.. I sure hope not. Because I feel like I am the furthest thing from it. You never know, though.

4 comments:

Laura said...

This reminds me of a sermon that Angie posted (Keep Believing Blog).
The pastor talked about how we create relationships in our minds out of fear.
We assume.
Then we act on that assumption.
I don't think your neighbors are snobs but if your friend has already decided that, then every little thing they do can be interpreted as such.
Can't we all be considered snobs in some situations?
Sometimes it is just a case of feelign awkward and not knowing what to do with yourself.

Soutenus said...

When I was in the 7th grade, unbeknown to me, I acquired the reputation of being a snob. It was the first year at a new school and I was determined not to wear the glasses that I REALLY needed. Thus, I could not see my hand in front of my face, much less people waving or smiling at me.
When a guidance counselor talked to me about my new "reputation" I was aghast and very embarrassed. I still refused to wear my glasses in the hall but I waved and smiled at EVERYONE. By my Sr year I was voted "friendliest person." To this day classmates remember me but I do not remember them. . . . . So I smile and wave!

Anonymous said...

come on! post again already!!! haha

Maria (also Bia) said...

Uh, mg, where are you?