Sunday, August 17, 2008

a plea to fathers

Fathers, please demand that your sons speak to their mother with respect. I have noticed lately vicious, angry, hateful tones coming out of the mouths of young men I would imagine knew better.
I remember King telling me that when he was a teen, the one and only time he chose to backtalk his mother, he was left with a hand print across his cheek. Too severe? Maybe. Maybe not. I can guarantee you he never did it again.
The reason for my plea is purely selfish. I do not want my future sons-in-law to speak to my daughters the way they speak to your wives. My husband and I have set the bar for our kids as to how marriage is supposed to be. King and I speak with respect and love to one another 99.9% of the time. (0.01% = we are human, after all!)

That, and it will avoid an embarrassing situation for them later down the road. Because I can promise you, I have huge mother grizzly bear potential.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can relate totally to King's story. I sassed my mom once and she smacked me across the thigh with a bamboo cane from the carnival. Left a welp for a week. Believe me I never did it again either.

Anonymous said...

the flip side of that coin is that the wife/mother must demand and expect respect from the men in her life. your girls are very worthy of respect, and i should expect always will be and will seek out men like their saintly father.