Saturday, February 2, 2008

40 days

What if I gave up the computer (other than email and research for kids stuff) for Lent? Would you still remember to read my blog after Easter?
I was at lunch today speaking with some friends of mine and their daughters. I asked what each of them was thinking about giving up for Lent. Each took their turn telling their ideas then they asked me. The question stopped me dead in my tracks. I honestly had no idea.
I stopped smoking over 3 years ago. I am dieting and not eating sugar (other than the occasional blob of peanut butter). I hardly drink at all. And well, with 5 kids, you don't get time to do "that thing" which got you 5 children in the first place.
One of the girls at the table suggested I give up the computer. I sat there stunned.
Though I don't think I surf the internet too much, I do check my favorite blogsites (see blogroll), I am a member at a Low Carb Forum and I do use Google. Like, all the time.
So, I am considering it. Another option is to DO something which would strengthen my faith in other ways. Going to perpetual adoration once a week, for example, would be an easy way to grow in love for and become closer to Jesus.
What about you, do you observe Lent? If so, what sacrifice(s) will you make?

7 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

I, for one, would miss you...but I understand and would definitely check back after Lent!

I actually thought about doing the same thing, but instead I think I will just limit my computer time to just one specific time every day (as opposed to checking email, etc. several times throughout the day.)

We're still working on some family ideas...we actually made a list of them last night (no t.v. during the week, or reading a chapter in The Book of Virutes every night, or adoration one hour a week) and mon. nite we'll vote.

Do you guys do something as a family? I'm always looking for ideas/ways to make Lent a holy season.

God bless.

Leah said...

Well, since I'm not Catholic, I've never observed lent, but I am considering it this year, Namely, No TV. I keep getting this sense from God that it is a huge distraction from Him.
So, unbeknownst to my family, Wednesday will begin a tv silence such as never has been seen before, at least in our family!

:o) mg said...

Wow! That is a tough one. My #3 does that each year. She is so good about it too. Even when we go into a restaurant that has a tv somewhere, she will sit so that she cannot see it. Each Lent I learn lessons in strength and self sacrifice from her.

Anonymous said...

i think doing something that will strengthen your faith is a good idea. please don't give up the computer. you might as well say, "i'll totally give up communication with my sister for lent."

:o) mg said...

Well, I'm not giving up email or the TELEPHONE! hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

like you EVER have time to talk on the phone (without massive interruptions)! ;)

:o) mg said...

Justew'ait 'enry 'iggins